DoctorBill wrote:
Every once in a while I get stuck in a "Warning....registry virus error..."

It stops everything on SM.
SM does not respond.   Can't get out.

Says I have to call some 800 number to get my computer back - big long worded
thing that
repeats itself.

I have been able to get out only by repeated ALT-F4 and restarting Windows (XP)
and then
after a while of that, by clicking on the icon below and clicking "Close".  I
can't
remember exactly what I do, but eventually it goes away.

Is this the "Extortion Virus" thing out of Russia I have heard about ?

Not exactly.  It sounds like some kiddie thing.
The real ones would encrypt everything except the contact info.

What is the best way to get out of it ?
Clean your machine or pay them money.

BTW - I can't find any FREE virus checkers that work in XP.  My computer is too
old to run
the new Windows.
There are a ton of free anti virus/malware/pupware programs for XP3.
You may want to search for some.