On 30/11/2015 3:34 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/29/2015 4:45 AM, A Williams wrote:
I tend to give most "collateral damage" sites the "Allow for Session"
setting for Cookies.  Today I went through the permissions listing and
discovered that quite a few unwanted sites have the "Allow" setting.

So I changed the permissions to "Allow for Session".

Positioning to the next site and back again, I see that the Permissions
are immediately reset to "Allow".  Deleting all existing cookies (for
the site) and then trying again does not help.

How do I make this change - my personal "do not track" - stick?

I found the best solution (best for me) to be with the PrefBar extension
from <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/prefbar/>.  I
imported into PrefBar the Permissions Menu menulist from
<http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/buttons.html#permissionsmenu> and used it
to get the old Cookies Manager.

On the Cookie Websites tab, I deleted entries for Web sites that
indicate "website can set cookes" and re-entered those sites with the
Session button.  If I want to block a Web site completely from setting
cookies, I select the Stored Cookies tab on Cookie Manager.  I check the
"Don't allow websites that set removed cookies to set future cookies"
checkbox and then delete the unwanted cookies.

Note that, after the Stored Cookies tab indicates only those cookies I
really want to keep, I terminate the Cookie Manager and SeaMonkey.
After making sure that everything is terminated, I locate cookies.sqlite
in my profile and mark it "read-only".  Web sites might think they are
setting persistent cookies but those cookies do not get written to their
database when SeaMonkey is terminated.  They all become "session only".

Thank you, David, for providing your work-arounds, but, if I mark a cookie as "Allow for Session Only", why does SM ignore my wishes and change the cookies setting to "Allow". Do the Devs know better, or something??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501