On 1/16/2016 7:02 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 1/16/2016 7:51 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> Before retiring, I had surgery on my right hand.  When the doctor said I
>> could return to work -- about a week later -- my boss strongly suggested
>> that I use only my left hand for a while.  I am right-handed.  I changed
>> the settings on my work PC to use my left hand for the mouse.  That
>> lasted 3 minutes.  The slight discomfort while using my right hand for
>> the mouse was less bothersome than the mess I was making with my left
>> hand.
>
> Carpal syndrome sucks. I'm also right handed. :(

It was not carpal tunel sydrome.  It was trigger finger (having nothing
to do with guns).

A bump developed on the tendon that pulls my right ring finger straight
from a curled position.  The bump would catch on a ligament that crossed
over the tendon to hold it in place.   I could not straightened the
finger smoothly; instead, it would jump (the triggering effect) -- with
much pain.

The surgeon cut the ligament.  Scar tissue formed to hold the tendon in
place but more loosely than the ligament.  I can now straighten the
finger smoothly and without pain.

The surgery I had was a last resort when repeated cortisone shots failed
to give more than temporary relief.  A few years later after I retired,
I had to have the same surgery done on two other fingers.  The same
problem happened to both thumbs and even another finger; but in those
situations, the problems yielded to cortisone shots.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.