David E. Ross wrote on 20/01/2016 05:34:
On 1/19/2016 7:29 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
I just  wrote:
In a discussion of American English phonetics, I had occasion to use
the combining tilde (U+0303), but was surprised at the result:

... she does routinely flap /t,d,n/ like most Americans.

At 1:15, it occurs in "many" [mɛ̃ɾi] (I've used "ɛ̃" for nasalized
[ɛ], which would properly be written with the tilde over the vowel).
She does the same thing elsewhere in "lovin' is so soft"
[lʌvɪ̃ɾɪzsosɔft].
As promised, this illustrates the results when I send in HTML.

I do not see your displacement in either message.  As you see here,
however, I do see the displacement when quoting your HTML-formatted
message in a plain-text reply.  I also saw the displacement when quoting
your plain-text message in a plain-text reply, but I am not sending that
reply.

The displacement is clearly explained and showed:
In plain text:

it occurs in "many" [mɛ̃ɾi] (I've used "ɛ̃" for nasalized

the tilde "~" is placed in plain-text over the "r" of "meri" and over the last " of "s"
the tilde "~" is placed in the hmtl over the "e" or "meri" and over the ɛ of the ɛ̃.