Larry S. wrote:
WaltS48 wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Received an MP4 file via e-mail. It plays beautifully, but I have no
idea which of my many applications is playing it. I look in "Helper
Applications", but file types aren't shown there. Somehow I'm supposed
to guess which application plays which type?

Please help me understand how to read Helper Applications, and/or know
which file types are involved with what application.

Thank you!
Larry S.

Isn't the "Content Type" column the same as file types?

I have 3 listed for mpeg-4. They are mpeg-4 audio, mpeg-4 video
(video/mp4) and mpeg-4 video (video/x-mv4), all set to "Always Ask"
under the "Action" column.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14>
My Helper Applications list has lots of listings but names very few file
types, and has no entries at all for "audio" or "video". That's why I
was trying to figure out what program was playing the MP4 file.

Larry S.

The right column of that pane in the Preferences should tell you what will be done with that file type, whether it is to save it, open it with a plugin, or with an application, or ask first what to do with it.