On 26/02/2016 12:54 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/25/2016 3:25 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
David E. Ross wrote on 25/02/2016 16:39:
On 2/25/2016 2:53 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 2/24/2016 6:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/24/2016 2:04 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 2/23/2016 7:46 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[snip]

Yes, I know the difference between a plugin and an extension. ...

But some readers, including myself [even though around since
Netscape 4.x], do not.
Could you point to an official definition of the terms "plugin"
and "extension"?
I for one have never seen the need to enhance in any way a
standard release. I explicitly disable some longtime features
such as cookies, JavaScript, and site specified colors/backgrounds.

Go to <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in#Computing>.  There are four
bullets; the first two are relevant.

Thank you. When I said "official definition" I should have said
something like "How does SeaMonkey (or Mozilla) define the
distinction between a 'plugin' and an 'extension' ?"

  From actually using both plugins and extensions, the Wikipedia
description reflects reality.  When I open the Add-ons Manager, the
items under Extensions are indeed as described in the second bulltet on
the Wikipedia page; and the items under Plugins are as described in the
first bullet on that page.

So when a plugin crashes ... the browser is still alive.
When an extension crashes... the browser crashes.
Am I wrong ?

I think that is correct.

A plugin is installed separately and independently of the browser or any
other application that might launch it (e.g., Thunderbird).  The browser
launches the plugin to perform some task.  I generally download plugins
via SeaMonkey.  When I install a new plugin, however, I do so with
SeaMonkey terminated.  The same plugin -- not a separate installation --
can be used by other applications; it is not installed specifically for
each application that uses it.

An extension is installed into a browser's profile, changing the
internal code of the browser when that profile is active.  I just now
installed an update for the Theme Font & Size Changer extension.  I had
to install it five times, once for each of four SeaMonkey profiles and
once again for Thunderbird.

Soooo .... A "Plug-in" is applied to a *SYSTEM/O.S* where as an "Extension" is applied to a *Program/Browser*?? Yes/No!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501