mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:

That may be because the parts taken separately are not flagged by the
spell checker. "I", "he", "we" and "re" are words, and the single
letters "m" and "d" are not flagged by the spell checker individually
either (strangely, "i", "o" and "u" appear to be the only single
letters which are flagged by the spell checker; not sure why those
are but no others).

As it happens, the American English spell checker passed the following two lines without complaint:

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Not a single peep out of it.

I would expect "i" to be flagged as a common typo for the pronoun "I," but "m" should be passed as the standard abbreviation for "meter." Older speakers might use "O!" as a vocative, but I doubt that even 20th-century computer geeks would know that. Everything else should be flagged.

Obviously, any letter, Latin or otherwise, may be used as a math variable, but no spell-checker should be expected to parse equations.

Paul B. Gallagher