Daniel wrote:
If you are just wanting to see what mail and/or news client a person is
using, why would you need to run an additional extension (now that our
computers are all squeezed from RAM and HD space!! ;-P  ), when all you
have to do is enter about:config in the address bar, accept the warning,
then in the "Search Bar" enter "mailnews.headers.showUserAgent" and set
its Boolean function to "true" (by double clicking on it, I think!).

I agree that it's a specialized extension, and that not many need it.

For me, I do tech support, where there's a number of different mail clients in use. Yes, I can look at a raw header, or tinker with about:config settings, but for me, it's beneficial to see at at a glance, what they're using to send.

The majority of my users use Thunderbird, but there's some number that use Outlook, as well as a handful of other mail clients, including Apple Mail, a webmail client, and one or two others. Knowing what client is being used (and with a graphical display) helps me to quickly know both what kinds of assumptions the user is making, as well as sometimes answering the question of why the contents of a certain message appear the way that they do.

I'm not advocating that others use this particular extension, but it's useful to me.

Smith