Bruce Hagen wrote:
After marking messages as read in a newsgroup, if I leave the group and
come back every message header is bold again. Just reset Windows 10, but
backed up SeaMonkey with MozBackup and all newsgroups came back as
expected. Any thoughts?

For newsgroup accounts, I did settings to make the news servers send only unread messages. Any newsgroup messages that got marked as read will not be sent again. In about:config, this is the setting:

mail.server.server<X>.downloadUnreadOnly -> true

X is the number of the server for that account.