On 06/22/2016 07:40 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:

If I select [Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security] on the SeaMonkey
menu bar, the Privacy & Security pane has a section named "Safe
Browsing".  This section has two checkboxes, one for sites with malware
and viruses and one for phishing.

If I have those checkboxes checked, I assume SeaMonkey is checking Web
sites that I try to visit against some database.  Who owns that
database?  How often is it updated?  How often does SeaMonkey check that
database?

I think you're on the right track. MozillaZine has a rather old page (last modified 22:45, 3 June 2013) that describes the feature:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_browsing>

Anyone have anything more recent?

Just this.

Google Safe Browsing <http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/safebrowsing/> was an anti-phishing extension released by Google on labs.google.com <http://labs.google.com/> in December 2005. Google has released this extension to the Mozilla Foundation under MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 in order that it might be used as part of Firefox if desired. We've landed this change on the trunk as a global extension as of 7 March 2006.

REF: <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Safe_Browsing>

It is now an API.

Safe Browsing is a Google service that lets client applications check URLs against Google's constantly updated lists of unsafe web resources.

REF: <https://developers.google.com/safe-browsing/>