Larry S. wrote:

Thanks, Richard. The reason I asked the question was that the post
disappeared from my news group list about a half hour after it was
sent. I thought that maybe someone thought it wasn't a SM post and
deleted it. Yet, now here it is, answered. Very strange!

Check your display options. If you have SeaMonkey set to show only unread messages, or only threads with unread messages, messages or entire threads can seem to "disappear" when they no longer qualify.

With the cursor in the relevant newsgroup:

View | Messages: All/Unread/...

and

View | Threads: All/Unread/Threads with Unread/Watched Threads with Unread/Ignored Threads...

As a general rule, SeaMonkey will not "recalculate" while you're in a particular newsgroup; it only does so if you leave and then return. So a message won't vanish before your very eyes the moment you read it.

In the case where you have SM set to show all messages in threads with unread, you could post a message, read it, navigate away, and return to find it "gone," but then when someone replied, the thread would qualify for display again and all messages in that thread would reappear as soon as you entered the NG.

Paul B. Gallagher