Henrik37 wrote:

I recently installed SM v.2.39 on a new, larger, hard drive.  My
memory is that there is way to enable forced spell checking with
newly composed e-mail messages prior to sending them.

The problem is that I can't find out whether this feature exists in
v.2.39 and how to enable it or whether my memory is simply faulty.

I think it's in the same place as in other recent versions. On my 2.40, it's at:

Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Spelling
[x] Check spelling before sending
[x] Check spelling as you type

If the default language isn't the one you want, click the button that shows the language and you'll see any other installed languages, plus the option "Download more dictionaries..."

Paul B. Gallagher