Alexander Yudenitsch wrote:
I'm currently migrating from using SM on WinXP to a XP/7 dual-boot
system, so my query has two 'prongs':  Migrating SM from WinXP to Win7,
and saving information from a previous profile to a new one (which I'm
sure is a devious and tricky one, since I'm after specific details, and
not generic advice, and realize there may not be anyone with such advice
available here when I write).

I know that, if you leave a SM Profile after uninstalling the SM
program, when you reinstall it, this Profile is recognized by the
installation, and SM is installed ready to continue using the Profile --
That works fine if you're using the same OS for both installations, or
if both OS's have the same directory structure:  E.g., when going from
Win2K to WinXP, there's no (or minimal) need to adjust anything, since
both have practically the same file structure and names (besides the
"WINXP/WINDOWS" change); however, since XP and W7 use quite different
file structures and names, I'm stumped about how to use this 'natural
migration' which SM tends to use.

Just to what happens, I installed the same SM version I have on XP to a
W7 'temporary install', and saw that files are assigned to W7
(sub-)directories which don't even exist in XP, and am uncertain if I'll
know where my existing profile files would go (I imagine I'd have to
manually edit some .INI and .JS files to reflect these changes -- but,
again,from what to what?  Where can I find this correspondence?

The other part of the problem is that I've been migrating/evolving this
Profile since 1995, using Netscape, then MozSuite, and now SM,
installing and uninstalling many add-ons/extensions over time, so there
must be lots of unnecessary and/or problematic data left behind, because
sometimes uninstalling doesn'1t clear the add-on's data.

I'm ready to 'start from scratch' and reinstall all extensions, but want
to keep my 'history' -- which, since it's been incorporated into
"places.sqlite", is sort of a "black box", so I don't know how I can
'migrate' it after a clean uninstall.

I'm not sure if the above is enough to describe the problem, but so far
I'm between two unsatisfactory options:  Leave all the data from my
current profile when I install SM on W7 (I presume it's possible to
determine exactly where each file 'should' go), and try to clear up
what's possible without risking the current data; OR, make a clean
install, and then migrate the add-ons data (including "places.sqlite")
to the new Profile, which seems to have a high probability of making the
Profile unusable!

An added problem is that, for many months now, I've been having more and
more problems with javascript in SM (at least, it seems to be JS:  I
installed FireFox for comparison, and that install seems to have copied
much of he SM options, but still the same sites don't have the JS
problems, while they do in SM), but I think it's best to leave that
aside for now, and maybe open a new thread for this, unless someone says
it's directly related to the migration/data problem I described above.

You could let SeaMonkey set up a new profile and then dump the contents of the old profile into the new one. You might have to change a few pathnames in the settings afterwards.