On 12/4/2016 2:31 PM, Pat Connors wrote:
> Okay, I am totally confused about what I should do or not do.  I am
> thinking of not using 2.40 and instead use Microsoft Edge until
> SeaMonkey does it update. Question, should I completely erase 2.40 or
> does just not using it keep my computer safe?  Will 2.40 email be safe
> or if I use Thunderbird for my email will that be safe?  Is Firefox also
> unsafe?  Thanks in advance for helping me figure out what to do.

Pat, these are my recommendations were I you - keep in mind that they
are only my personal recommendations & I've been known to be wrong in
the past, so I assume no responsibility for breakage. Note: wait for an
hour or two to see if anyone on this list finds issue with the following
before doing anything except #1.

1. Backup your SeaMonkey folder. You can accomplish this by doing a
standard copy & paste from Windows Explorer - copy
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
and paste to another folder/drive. In the event of any issues you can
copy from the backup location and paste back.

2. Download:
<https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~akalla/unofficial/seamonkey/nightly/latest-comm-release-windows32/seamonkey-2.47.en-US.win32.installer.exe>
and
<https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~akalla/unofficial/seamonkey/nightly/latest-comm-release-windows32/lightning-5.2.en-US.win32.xpi>

3. Exit SeaMonkey 2.40.

4. Install the downloaded seamonkey-2.47.en-US.win32.installer.exe (just
as any other .exe by double-clicking on the .exe from Windows Explorer).
Note you can uninstall 2.40 if you wish, but it is not necessary as you
are installing a 32bit version over your existing 32bit version.

5. Start SeaMonkey (2.47) and check to ensure that everything is working
properly. If you have issues with Lightning calendar, install the
lightning-5.2.en-US.win32.xpi from 'Tools|Add-ons
Manager|Extensions|Install Add-ons from file (cog wheel to the left of
the 'Search all add-ons' box).

If you still have issues feel free to email me directly (just drop the
.invalid at the end of my address for the correct email address).

Re Microsoft Edge - If you just want a now safe browser you can use the
most recent Firefox or Google Chrome, both have been fixed. Thunderbird
for email is fine also if you wish to go the Browser+Email client route.

Gary