Mason83 wrote:
On 07/12/2016 19:04, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

Why would build be much faster native vs in a VM?

There is always overhead in an VM. And Virtualbox isn't that good at managing the virtual CPUs. On the desktop I could assign 12 physical cores but more that 8 and it does not much else but nothing :)

It's mostly user-space integer code and storage access.

There is also an OS running which does graphics output.

But I really like compiling in a VM. I can shut it down and resume. And can test another version in another VM without fear of forgetting to use the right profile. And I can compile for Linux and Windows using one box. And the VS2015 installer is so much junk your are better off reinstalling the OS if you run into trouble. And I can just move my VM image to the lappi and and...