Henrik37 wrote:

I am in the process of rebuilding my SM mail system on a new PC after an
unexpected major failure of an old PC.  The failed PC ran SM 2.39.  The
new PC has SM 2.40 installed but is not yet in use.

Using the command prompt, I have managed to copy the 'inbox' and 'sent'
files for all six of my e-mail accounts to a memory stick.  I know where
to paste these recovered files into my new SM 2.40 installation's mail
files.

I would like to recover my 'collected addresses' (which I think is the
address book) but I don't know what that file(s) named.

No, "collected addresses" is not /the/ address book. It's /an/ address book that contains email name/address records that SM has picked up from incoming and outgoing messages. Your true address book is "Personal Address Book" at the top of the listing if you do CTRL-5.

Thank you, in advamce for comments, advice, and guidance on the
questions I have raised

If you are confident that your 2.39 profile is intact (undamaged by the failure), I would recommend copying the entire profile. The format is the same, so you don't have to worry about anything being corrupted or misinterpreted by 2.40.

Here's a safe way to do it (assuming based on info in your message header that you're using Windows 7):

1) With SM completely closed (to be sure, make sure there is no process "seamonkey.exe*32" in Windows Task Manager, "Processes" tab), locate the \Mozilla\ folder created on the target computer when you installed SM 2.40. In Windows 7, it should be at C:\Users\Your_Windows_Name\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\. Rename it to \Old_Mozilla\.

2) With SM completely closed on the source computer, locate the corresponding \Mozilla\ folder and copy it to your memory stick. It should fit -- after 20 years of Netscape, Mozilla, and SeaMonkey, and the corresponding mail folders and browser history, mine fits within 5 GB.

3) Copy the old \Mozilla\ folder to the same \Roaming\ directory as the \Old_Mozilla\ folder on the target computer. Don't put it under \Old_Mozilla\, but parallel to it.

4) Launch SM 2.40 on the target computer, test to see that all is well. When you're satisfied, feel free to delete the \Old_Mozilla\ folder. SM won't see it or use it, so you don't have to worry about closing SM first.

(If this doesn't work, close SM on the target computer, delete the \Mozilla\ folder, and unrename \Old_Mozilla\ back to \Mozilla\. You're back where you started with no harm done and you can then try other options.)

This should capture everything you had on the source computer -- mail folders and messages, bookmarks, address books, passwords, browsing history, everything.

One thing you should double-check is your add-ons and extensions (CTRL-SHIFT-A) -- if you don't have the same ones installed on the target computer, you may get unexpected results when you try to access content that uses them. For example, if you had been using VLC to play Flash videos and SM knows (Edit | Preferences | Browser | Helper Applications) to launch VLC whenever it encounters one, what will happen if VLC is not installed on the new computer? In the same way, if you had specified that particular fonts should be used to display certain encodings and those fonts are not installed on the new computer, you won't get what you want. So either install the missing stuff or change your prefs.

Paul B. Gallagher