Because Firefox discontinued support and it was also discontinued in the Gecko backend SeaMonkey uses. Its great that it still works but it is completely unsupported. SeaMonkey 2.40 shouldn't have updated itself but ewong already stated that this was/is a problem on the update servers.

Older OSX code was removed from the backend. It looks like in Gecko 49 only non essential parts or maybe even none at all got the axe. The next version will not run at all on older Macs.

FRG

Paul Bergsagel wrote:
Hi,

According to posts I have read in this newsgroup Seamonkey 2.46 no longer supports Mac OS 6-8. Is this true?

I am running 2.46 on a late 2006 iMac running 10.7.5 Seamonkey runs very well on my iMac. I have not noticed any issues or problems with SeaMonkey. So why do developers such as Edmund Wong claim that 2.46 will not run on Mac OS 10.6-8?