DoctorBill wrote:
I don't know if this News group is where to get help with a problems I
have.
I bought a used laptop with WiFi using Windows Vista.
I have a wireless Internet Dish outside which connects to my computer
via a cable.
I bought and set up a NetGear 600 Router in my house - connected to the
ISP Cable.
It is working.  This Desktop is connected to the Router right now via a
cable.
When I try to set up a WiFi connection on the Laptop, VISTA says I am
connected with a strong signal.

However, when I start up SeaMonkey, it won't connect to the Internet.
I had set up and used SM - with the cable connected directly to the
Laptop - and got
onto the Internet.  Now via the WiFi, I cannot connect.

Am I doing something wrong here ?    How do I get the WiFi signal the
Laptop is getting
to interface with SeaMonkey and then the ISP ?

I have NEVER used WiFi and don't know squat about it. Especially the
Jargon.  Dinosaur.

DoctorBill

ISSUE RESOLVED !

I went to Hewlett Packard and got onto a FORUM there.
Got into a sub-forum and asked the question about the WiFi not connecting with the Internet.

Finally someone answered and posted a link to Atheros Drivers (don't know where he got it from).
Here is the Forum and my Thread:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HpG60-200-VISTA-Cannot-connect-WiFi-to-Internet/m-p/6128229#M135222

On the first reply I was given this link to drivers:
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

I downloaded that driver (sp54972.exe) and ran it and then went into the Atheros Adapter "Properties" and UPDATED the driver - and directed it to "search the computer".

THAT did it !  Now the Atheros Adapter works.
Apparently -before - it found the Router and recognized it w/o it's name (?). Once the right driver was installed it found the router AND it's name and THAT allowed it to
access the internet.  God Help me if I know what I am talking about !

I had googled this problem quite a lot and there are MANY people having this problem - MANY ! No answers had worked - I tried a lot of them !
Lucky that this fellow (Paul Tikkanen) knew of what he spoke !

I wish I could disperse this information to all those who are STILL fighting their WiFi Adapter. I don't know how ! Besides - It just works for Atheros Adapters.

DoctorBill

Yes, Atheros adapters can be a bit of a pain if you want to find new drivers. However there are a few web sites specialized on offering Atheros drivers.

You do realize that Windows Vista is en-of-life since about one month? No updates of any kind from Microsoft, including security patches. You might consider updating to Windows 10.