Look here
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/img-screen/mailnews_overview.png

Icons under the "View:" in a column to the left of the column header "Subject" in the posting message area.
That shows in this image an indicator if there are
  an icon - post responses hidden or expanded
  no icon - no post responses yet.

In each response there is an icon with a down arrow shown here.

But I see different icons that I cannot describe very well.
There is nothing in the posts that would help indicate what these icons mean.

e.g. there is one where all post responses are not bolded and the OP post has a multiple thingy icon with what looks like an eye below it.

Also OP posts have an underline if the OP was read but responses are unread.

Where are these icons defined ?  What do they mean ?