MozUser wrote on 09-06-17 03:59:
not the Thunderbird info.

I ALREADY have Thunderbird  set as suggested.

It is the Windows instructions, these are for some previous version of windows.

If I follow then I get to the first Windows screen that does not have what the web page says will be there.

If I fiddle and try to find what I think is the same Windows interface the second web page item is NOT there.

The web page does not address Windows 10.

http://www.officetooltips.com/office/tips/how_to_modify_default_mail_client_in_windows_10.html
https://pchelp.ricmedia.com/change-default-email-client-windows-10/
https://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3On77NDT8

It would be better for you tu use SeaMonkey for Newsgroups AND for mail.
SeaMonkey have been created for that and it works correctly. (and more... SM mail client is based on Thunderbird application)