Lee wrote:

downloading 500KB instead of 2.5MB is not my definition of "little
benefit"

Depends a lot on your connection speed.

If you have a 300 baud modem, the difference is excruciating (2.5 MB = 18.52 hours). If you have a gigabit connection, you won't notice it (2.5 MB = 0.02 second, about the length of the tongue contact in the "d" of American English "pedal" or the "r" of Spanish "pero").

Most users are somewhere in between. On my 50 Mbps connection, it takes two or three seconds to download 2 MB (the difference between your two cases). If I pay attention, I can tell the difference between 500 KB and 2.5 MB, but I would definitely call it "little benefit." If I had a 1 Mbps connection and had to wait two minutes, it would be a BFD.

Paul B. Gallagher