David E. Ross wrote:

Can I change the timeout preference to 210 using about:config, instead of
adding these new lines to user.js?

Yes.  I happen to prefer adding the lines to user.js so that I can
insert a comment (a line beginning with //) to remind me why I did it.
Using about:config does not allow for commenting changes.

My suggestion in your case illustrates my use of comments.  I originally
changed the timeout preference to 210.  While it reduced the number of
instances of timeouts with a newsgroup server, it did not eliminate
them.  I was then advised to block IPv6, which completely resolved the
problem.  I was able to see my prior change in timeouts.  Not only did I
remove that from user.js, but I also had the name of the preference
variable in order to reset it via about:config.

Got it, thanks - wanted to make sure there wasn't some other drawback if I used
about:config.

Thanks for this suggestion. I've had no problems sending emails with this
preference set at 210, so I'm declaring victory and moving on to the next
conundrum!