Daniel wrote:
On 27/07/2017 7:33 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Rob Steinmetz wrote:

WaltS48 wrote:
On 7/26/17 12:51 PM, EE wrote:
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
Is there a message undelete add on that works with SeaMonkey?

You can move a message from the trash to another folder.

What do they do if it isn't in the trash?

Is it an email or newsgroup message?

In this case it is an email message that has been moved to another
folder and the other folder is not showing the message. We're not
sure what is going on. It may be the folder's index is corrupt and
can be fixed. or the message may be lost. I was looking for an
undelete before I tried anything else and lost the messages
completely.

First check adjacent folders in the list -- I can't count the number of
times I've dragged and dropped a message into an adjacent folder by
mistake and couldn't find it because it wasn't where I thought I'd put
it.

Failing that, close SM and delete the .msf (index) file for the folder
in question. When you restart SeaMonkey, it'll build a new one. If the
message appears, you're done. If not, post back; you may be able to
recover it manually from the file but that's complicated.

In the interim, if SM offers to compact folders, be sure to refuse. If
it does, you'll lose all hope of recovery. And if you have it set to
compact folders automatically without asking, disable that feature.

Edit | Preferences | Mail & Newsgroups | Network & Storage
[ ] Compact all folders when it will save over nn MB in total

I, also, have dragged and dropped into the wrong folder and had to go
looking ... and finding and re-moving to the correct file.

Second thing for OP Rob to try ..... SeaMonkey stores it messages in one
file (e.g. inbox, sent, etc) and then has an associated index file (e.g.
inbox.msf, sent.msf).

If you close SeaMonkey and then delete all the *.msf files, when you
re-start SeaMonkey and address each folder in your profile, a new *.msf
file will be created for each folder in your profile (e.g. new
inbox.msf, sent.msf, whatever.msf, etc.) and, if your missing e-mail is
in any of the mail folders, it should show up.

Note:because you have not touched the actual files which hold your mail
(inbox, sent, whatever, etc), your mail should not be lost!!

Thanks for All of the suggestions. I'm pretty much aware of all of them.

In my experience email properly marked as deleted in the MBOX file will not show up if a new index is created. It will show up if the index is somehow corrupt.

I did find this add on for Thunderbird:

RECOVER DELETED MESSAGES: an extension that allows to recover deleted messages, if the
folder has not been compacted yet. To use it, select the folder, right-click and choose
"Recover deleted messages", then follow the messages in status bar.
From the 0.2 version it should be able also to recover deleted messages from
Imap folders, if they're set for offline use.
Localized in english and italian.
latest: 0.4 version (TB - compatibile 2.0 or higher)

I was hoping something similar was available for Sea Monkey. I'll probably try to convert it to SeaMonkey and try it out.