On 8/8/17, Paul B. Gallagher <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 8/7/2017 8:27 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> So does the site simply say "Mountain Time," or does it say
>>> "Mountain Standard Time"? In the latter case, as noted above, no
>>> action is required, at least until fall. Their noon MST appointment
>>> is the same as your noon PDT appointment.
>>
>> I just now revisited the Web page for scheduling a phone
>> appointment. It says "Mountain Time", not "Mountain Standard Time".
>> Selecting an icon adjacent to that displays a tooltip that explains
>> the indicated time zone.  The tooltip says: "The time zone is based
>> on your computer system's clock."  You can view all that at
>> <http://www.rossde.com/test/timezone-1.jpg>.
>>
>> I then launched Microsoft's Data and Time window.  It says that my
>> time zone is "(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)".  You can view
>> that at <http://www.rossde.com/test/timezone-2.jpg>.
>>
>> All this tells me that the problem is at Vanguard.
>
> Agreed. Either they're misreading your system's clock, or they're
> miscalculating.
>
> But I'm curious how your system can say "(UTC-08:00)" while your message
> header says "Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2017 09:28:40 -0700." Could Vanguard be
> seeing that "-0700" instead of "(UTC-08:00)"? If so, why?

Maybe javascript doesn't have a function to return the time zone name?
His timezone is UTC -8, but it's daylight savings time so the offset is UTC -7

Take a look at
  http://browserspy.dk/date.php
it says I'm "GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)" & the text should be
Eastern Daylight Savings Time

for whatever it's worth, cygwin gets it right:
$ env | grep TZ
TZ=America/New_York

$ date +"%Z %:::z"
EDT -04