> Yeah, I guess I'll have to upgrade sooner or later, although it will have to
> be a PC with a full size keyboard and a mouse - just can't abide laptops, it
> would drive me nuts no matter how cheap. W10 may still be free from MS, but

The old Thinkpad keyboards are still the second best thing here. Using an X200s while traveling and it is really good. But at home I have a docking station and a full sized keyboard and mouse connected to it. Best of both worlds. I have no use for touch. If it weren't for the dreaded Intel graphics chips with its sucky drivers it would be heaven.

Yes to get a free W10 license you need to have W7 loaded.

I am still running XP on a PC with special hardware and regularly test to see that SeaMonkey 2.49.1 still works fine but for audio/video I would just pass.

FRG

null wrote:
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

Yeah, I guess I'll have to upgrade sooner or later, although it will have to be a PC with a full size keyboard and a mouse - just can't abide laptops, it would drive me nuts no matter how cheap. W10 may still be free from MS, but only if you do the download using W7 or higher. I don't recall there ever being any sort of free download or upgrade for XP, and if there was I imagine it's long gone. Apart from the pesky cost, the problem with upgrading the hardware and going to W10 is that there are many unknowns. Apart from the fact that I know XP inside out and, like a lot of others have said, find the GUI and general way it runs very much to my liking, I suspect that a huge number of programmes I currently use may not run properly on W10, if they will run at all, and I would find that out the hard way. I do know what you refer to with the POS 2009 hack, but I think that would be fraught with all sorts of possible complications, and as you say it's on the way out, anyway.