On 26/08/2017 09:01, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> Some time ago Cisco released a H.264 implementation called OpenH264 in
> source and binary form for download from a Cisco server. As part of this
> Cisco pays full H.264 patent royalties for this plugin. Firefox contains
> something to download OpenH264 from the Cisco server (meaning Firefox can
> then have H.264 support without any patent issues)
>
> Does SeaMonkey also use this code to download OpenH264 and get H.264
> support that way? Is this something that is planned? Is there a reason
> SeaMonkey cant do what FireFox does?
>
> Is the Firefox OpenH264 support even used for HTML5 video or is it only
> being used for WebRTC and online video chat things?

Hmmm... Let's see.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1047159

Do you have a media.peerconnection.video.h264 knob?
I don't, but I do see media.peerconnection.video.h264_enabled
mine defaults to false. Perhaps try toggling it and
restart SM?

I have media.peerconnection.enabled to false though.

Hmmm, media.peerconnection screams "WebRTC".

I'm wondering, like you, if the Cisco plug-in is used
at all outside WebRTC...

This seems to imply the plug-in is useful for Youtube:
https://github.com/cisco/openh264/issues/2835

Regards.