Lee wrote:

I would have never guessed that "you may no longer be prompted for
authentication in certain scenarios" meant getting a 401 error when
trying to login somewhere. In my mind, not being prompted for
authentication means not getting the userid/password popup.

Keep reading. The bug goes on to say that the failure to prompt eventually leads to an error message. Presumably because failure to prompt leads to failure to authenticate (you can't answer a question it doesn't ask), so when the unauthorized user tries to execute commands, they are rejected.

Paul B. Gallagher