Daniel wrote:
On 13/10/2017 1:19 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

<Snip>

Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next
questions:

Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.

If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is
whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat inconsistently. I
have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used to do
it differently.

Nope. I've migrated this profile since Netscape Communicator. I cannot
remember when the SALT in the profile started whether it was when
Communicator upgraded from 4.7 to 5 or 6, or when converted to Mozilla
1.0 browser. IIRC SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT.

"SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT" ... as long as you did a
standard installation!! If you went Custom Install (as I do), the SALT
is optional.

I always use Custom Install option in installers. Just checked in a VM with a pristine install just in case any legacy settings would effect the install. Setup gives you the option for the location of the *application* but not the location of the initial user profile. It will use the salt with that initial profile.

Now you have the option later to launch SeaMonkey profile manager to create a new profile with a custom location and directory name, but you cannot do that with the initial setup, Standard or Custom.

--
Take care,

Jonathan