Dirk Munk wrote:
When I open a link from another application, I will get a new and
completely empty window, instead of a new tab with the web page.

I looked in the browser preferences, and everything seems to be ok.

What can cause this problem?
2.53a1 looks like an alpha 'coz the 'a1', there are 3 2.54a1 and 2.55a1 the newer the version the crappier the build, The one that has minor bugs and is good for some people is 2.51, but the SM databases are changed drastically from 2.53a1 and onward so your profile and bookmark might not be readable on 2.51 anymore, maybe you could export your bookmarks as a JSON and HTML, also save prefs.js and import the bookmarks and replace prefs.js on a 2.51 profile.

I wonder why they can just build a 2.48 64-bit SM shen the official stable is 2.48 32-bit?