NoOp wrote:
On 12/03/2017 07:10 AM, mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Daniel wrote:
mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
I've just installed SeaMonkey from Ubuntuzilla on Linux Mint 18.3
MATE, using the instructions at
<https://sourceforge.net/p/ubuntuzilla/wiki/Main_Page/#installation>.

On starting SeaMonkey, it prompts to "Use SeaMonkey as the default
client for:" with "Browser" and "Email" preselected. I click OK, and
it does appear to be correctly set as the default application - .html
files, http: URLs etc. from other applications open with SeaMonkey.
However, every time I start SeaMonkey it prompts again to set it as
the default client. I /could/ just untick "Always perform this check
when starting SeaMonkey" and I expect it wouldn't prompt again, but
I'm pretty sure this prompt is only supposed to appear if SeaMonkey is
not already the default.

<snip>

Has anyone got the default client check to work on MATE, or is
disabling "Always perform this check when starting SeaMonkey" the only
way of avoiding the prompt every time? I don't really mind doing that;
it would just be nice to have it work properly if it just needs a bit
of configuration.

<snip>

Logically, if you start up some other Browser/Mail Agent, it would do a
similar check and present you with a similar screen, allowing you to
change your default Browser/Mail Agent.

I'm not sure I follow. If I start some other browser with similar
options, I would set that one not to be default and not to check,
leaving SeaMonkey as the default. SeaMonkey (with "Always perform this
check..." set) should then detect that it's still the default and not
prompt. At least that's what I'd expect, and how it works under Windows.
On the Linux Mint MATE machine I'm setting up, SeaMonkey always prompts
to set itself as the default client, even when it is already the default:
- Start SeaMonkey
- OK the prompt to set it as default browser and mail client
- Close SeaMonkey
- Start SeaMonkey
- SeaMonkey prompts to be set as the default browser and mail client,
even though it has just been set as the default and nothing has changed
that.

Ideally I'd leave "Always perform this check..." set, so that if
something else did get set to be the default, SeaMonkey would detect
that and offer to set itself back to being the default. Disabling
"Always perform this check..." would prevent that from happening, but at
the moment seems to be the only way to avoid being prompted every time
SeaMonkey starts even when it's already the default. Not too bad if
that's the way it is; I'm unlikely to accidentally set something else to
be the default, and if I did I could just set the default back to
SeaMonkey. But if there's just some bit of configuration I'm missing to
make SeaMonkey's default check work it would be nice to do.

Have you set SeaMonkey as default in your system settings? I'm not
familiar with MATE, but I think it to be similar to, and based on
Ubuntu; Config cog icon|System Settings|Details|Default
Applications|Web/Mail set to SeaMonkey? Try that & see if that resolves
the issue.

I think the equivalent in MATE is Menu > Preferences > Preferred Applications, which I did try (Menu is Mint's applications menu, equivalent to Windows' Start button, not SeaMonkey's menu).

If not, you may need to use about:config and search for
'default' and then look for settings with 'browser' - I 'think' the
settings that affect the browser check is:

browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser

Try setting that to 'true' if set to 'false' (double click to toggle
true/false).
There's no browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser, but there is a shell.checkDefaultClient boolean which appears to correspond to the "Always perform this check when starting SeaMonkey" tick-box. Setting that to true enables the check, and SeaMonkey prompts to be set as the default client every time it starts, even when it already is the default. Setting it to false disables the check entirely, SeaMonkey doesn't prompt even if it's not the default. There's also an integer shell.checkDefaultApps which I think is a bit-mask indicating what it should be default for (browser, mail, news, feeds).

Using either SeaMonkey's options or "Preferred Applications", SeaMonkey does get set as the default - http: and mailto: URIs from other applications open in SeaMonkey, HTML files open in SeaMonkey, etc. It's just that SeaMonkey doesn't seem to recognise that it is the default, so when set to check it prompts to be set as default every time it starts. Having poked around a bit more, I'm beginning to suspect that the check possibly works with Gnome but not necessarily with other desktop environments...

--
Mark.