Bo1953 wrote:
I Am on re-created profile #3 within two (2) months due to this.

Running SM 2.49.3 with W10 Pro on desktop.

What do I need to do further to curb this inconvenience?

I compact regularly, delete messages etc...

I cannot get any version of Duplicate Message Remover to work with this version of SM even with the convertor.

Hair is turning greyer... ;-)

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Two questions:

- Are you using POP or IMAP?
- If POP, what's the setting that you normally use for message retention on the server?

My suspicion is that you have been running POP on the old profile, and where you have things set to leave messages on the server, following download. The default setting is to delete immediately, but there are reasons to leave downloaded messages for a time.

I also suspect that your new profile is also set to POP, but where the file POPSTATE.DAT has not been copied from the old profile to the new profile.

The POPSTATE.DAT file is what's used to track which messages have been seen, and which have not. Thus, if you create a new profile, and you don't copy that particular file from the old profile, then in the new profile, Seamonkey will presume that all messages that are on the server are new, and will download them all.

If you still have a copy of the old profile, I suggest that you might want to redo the creation of the new profile. Copy everything that you did previously, but make sure that you include the POPSTATE.DAT file. That will ensure that Seamonkey downloads only the messages that haven't already been seen in the old profile.

That said, if you're in the habit of leaving all your downloaded messages on the server, then you should consider using IMAP rather than POP. With IMAP, that allows you to set up an IMAP connection any place that you want -- because your messages and folder layout are on the server, you see the same thing with every connection, and no problems with duplication.

Although IMAP presumes a server connection, the default settings for IMAP are to replicate copies of content to your local hard drive, where they're available to you, even if you're off line. For old stuff that you don't want to replicate to the server, that's the intended purpose of Local Folders, where you can keep stuff that isn't synchronized with a server.

In my own settings, I use POP on my primary profile, which is where I do my long-term storage of mail across several providers, and now more than 2 decades of accumulated traffic. However, because I make occasional use of multiple profiles in Seamonkey, as well as other mail clients (Thunderbird, Outlook, and even a little of Evolution, as well as web access, and a phone-based client), I set my primary POP profile to leave messages on the server for 2 weeks. For all the other profiles and clients, I use IMAP, which allows me to see all my most recent mail using whatever client and profile I happen to be using. To facilitate long-term storage on my primary POP client, my habit is that I don't delete any messages from the inbox on an IMAP client, and if I happen to send a message from an IMAP connection, I make sure that I move the copy of the sent message from the Sent Mail folder to the inbox, so that when I next make a connection from POP, that will get downloaded, where I can subsequently file appropriately.

Smith

Smith