Paul Bergsagel wrote on 19/08/2018 12:18 PM:
Richard Owlett wrote:
My bookmarks have grown like Topsy
I have many duplicates and the tree structure is a mess.
I have two primary goals:
  1. find and purge duplicates.
  2. move folders around to create a more reasonable structure.

After trying several approaches and looking for useful tools I found
jq [https://stedolan.github.io/jq/]. One related page I found is titled
"jq is sed for JSON".

An outline of a possible procedure might be:
 1. Export SeaMonkey bookmarks in JSON format.
 2. use jq to pretty print the JSON. It does so nicely.
 3. Find duplicate targets and delete all but one.
 4. Each leaf of the bookmark tree is an object.
    Move these objects around to create a more friendly tree.
 5. Import the clean organized bookmarks.

Has anyone done this?
Is there a friendly in depth jq tutorial? The ones I've found tend to be
on the "Hello world" level. There is just enough to tantalize.

Links of interest include:
https://stedolan.github.io/jq/manual/v1.5/
http://stedolan.github.io/jq/tutorial/
https://robots.thoughtbot.com/jq-is-sed-for-json

I have a limited understanding of programming and do not consider myself a programmer at all. Here is my question: "Would it be possible to create a plug in that would sort and locate duplicate bookmarks from within SeaMonkey rather than having to export the bookmarks and use an outside program?  Isn't there a way to automate advanced bookmark management using a plug in?"

I am fairly certain that there used to be an external program that would check a FireFox Bookmarks file looking for duplicates. And you could use it to sort out SeaMonkey (or was it Mozilla Suite) bookmarks as well.

But I think that was back in the days when Bookmarks were in a separate file (was it Bookmarks.html) rather than being part of the bigger, better, file that it now is.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623