meagain wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
I get this when SeaMonkey fails to terminate when I tried to terminate
it.  For me, this is a rare but occasional problem.  To resolve it, I
use the Windows Task Manager to terminate either the application or the
process (the result is the same).

If you are getting this frequently, you might be doing something strange
to terminate SeaMonkey.  Is it possible that you are shutting down
Windows without terminating SeaMonkey?  If so, how are you shutting down
Windows?

It happens repeatedly after full restart, close SM, open SM. If I kill the complaintant window "running but not responding..." then TaskManager does NOT show a part of "seamonkey" running. I cannot see any "running " part of SM, so it must be a service that SM started that I'm not letting
finish.

Depending which tab of Task Manager you're looking at, it might actually still be running... The "Applications" tab only shows the main user-visible applications. There is also a "Processes" tab which shows all running processes (including background services etc.) - look for seamonkey.exe there. (If you're on Windows 10, I think the "Processes" tab is similar to what was "Applications" but with more of the background services included, and the "Processes" tab is now called "Details"...)

When using an old laptop I used to find that sometimes, particularly after heavy usage, SeaMonkey would take a noticeable time to actually exit after closing the last visible window. It would disappear from the "Applications" tab but seamonkey.exe would still show on the "Processes" tab for a while, during which attempting to start SeaMonkey again would give the message saying it's already running but not responding.

If it still shows in the "Processes" tab (or possibly "Details" on Windows 10), it's worth waiting a few minutes to see if it eventually exits. There is a button to kill the process if all else fails, but that's rather forceful so I wouldn't like to say what state it might leave your profile in if it's actually busy saving data - so useful for the occasional hang but not ideal to use regularly.

If the seamonkey.exe process regularly/always fails to exit even after waiting a while, it's probably worth looking into why. e.g. Does exit if started with all add-ons disabled? What about with a new profile (configured via Tools > Switch Profile)?

--
Mark.