On 28/08/19 20:21, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
dirk wrote:
dirk schreef:
Dirk Fieldhouse schreef:
On 28/08/19 10:33, dirk wrote:
dirk wrote:
In seamonkey my default browswer is..... seamonkey.... and I can NOT
change that.... (greyed out)

How do I change that to i.e. Chrome???

[no success]

Nonetheless, did you try the advice that I linked yesterday?

Look at the second page where the "Standalone SeaMonkey Mail" extension <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/standalone-seamonkey-mail/>
 is discussed. It definitely solved your problem 7 years ago. >...>
I'm not very keen on addons in general, and besides the case, a program running on Windows OS, should respect its rules.

It is imho NOT DONE to hostage users that made a browser standard, and not allowing to change that afterwards.

Well, Netscape, and then the Mozilla Suite which became SeaMonkey, were conceived as integrated internet packages. "Thanks" to j...@jwz.org, HTML rendering became part of email processing and having the browser and email in one program made this practical on machines of the day.

The browser and mail/news components were broken out as Firefox (etc) and Thunderbird: Thunderbird can and does ask the OS which browser to use for external URLs. You could install Firefox and Thunderbird, or indeed Chrome and Thunderbird, and have the OS default browser selection respected. By choosing SeaMonkey, you are effectively saying that you don't want that. If SM mail/news works for you and Thunderbird doesn't, you have to adapt SM to work as a stand-alone mail/news program, as below.

...>
The text in the permissions warning makes me hold back:

"Please note this add-on uses legacy technology, which gives it access to all browser functions and data without requesting your permission."

That just means it's a traditional add-on rather than a WebExtension, I think, which is unsurprising since it's intended for SM 2.19 - 2.49.*. Anyhow a quick scan of the code confirms that there are no unwanted features.

If you look at the postings from Chris Ilias in this thread, Seamonkey/Mail has been hardwired to use Seamonkey/Browser since the release of version 2.0.
If this is the case, Chris would know.

That's why you need an extension to bypass the internal "wiring", which in the standalone-seamonkey-mail extension looks like this:
  if (winType == "mail:messageWindow" || winType == "mail:3pane") {

    window.addEventListener("click", mailClickListener, true);

function mailClickListener(e) {

var loadInExt = e.button == 0 || (e.button == 1 && getBoolPref("extensions.standaloneMail.middleClick"));

  if (!loadInExt) {

    return;

  }

  var window = e.target.ownerDocument.defaultView;

  launchExternalBrowserFromElement(window, e);

}

London
UK