On 10/29/2019 7:08 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
Hawker wrote:
I'm sticking with 2.49.5 right now. I don't really want to move to the newer builds until they are more official I don't think.

That said there is an increasing number of websites that no longer work in SM with any UI string that work in FireFox.  I wonder how many of them will be fixed in a newer SM but not sure how much longer I can wait.

So what is realistic? Will we have a 2.5x.y build some time in the next 6 months or what is realistic?

And if I do want to try something built on a newer engine what version of SM is the safest yet sufficiently newer for Windowz 7?  And where should I get it from?

We are wanting to do at least 2 2.53.1 betas this year. Basically Bills 2.53.1 will become an official release. A few private patches from me / Bill and work in progress fixes will be dropped from it then.

http://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

We are currently fixing and backporting bugs left and right. In parallel we are setting up an official gitlab repo for it. We don't want to check in around 3000 patches into a release branch in the official mozilla repos. The gods owning them might not be amused then.

All fixes for SeaMonkey go into the later branches too but 2.57 is not usable yet with mail broken.

Yesterdays 2.53.1 had a bug with mail delete. Next one will fix it.

If you try it please backup your profile. You will not be able to go back to 2.49.5. Will be upgraded (compatible with the upcoming official).

If you use a master paxsword remove it before upgrading and reapply later.

FRG

Thank you for this great and thorough reply and all the info you gave below as well. This was exactly the clear concise information I was looking for.

Also thank you very much for your work on the project against all the odds and lack of help. Some of us are still really hooked on SM.

Speaking for me I see the handwriting on the wall and assume with x.57 being the end of the line (and a late release) I will need to move on at some point. I have tried to move to other browsers but I don't like any of them. FF has a few deal breakers in how it handles privacy that make it not usable for me and others lack features I depend on. It reminds me of how long I clinged to Netscape 4.8 until MozSuite caught up.

If Email is the big issue with the new releases that is a non issue for me. Alas I had to move my e-mail to TB a couple years ago when it became apparent SM would not get TBs search capabilities and the SM mail client was getting crazy sluggish and having trouble handling my huge e-mail base that TB didn't seem to have issues with. I kept having to split directories to smaller chunks so it was usable and not sluggish, a problem TB didn't have. I don't care for TB as much as SM but I had to much e-mail to have those issues on my work files.