Ray Davison wrote:

SM mail.  Have not made any changes to in-out settings for several years.

I have several Charter mail accounts.  This all started a couple days when Charter stopped accepting outgoing mail from any of my accounts. This occurred on both my wife's machine and mine.

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.1.0 <ray...@charter.net> sender rejected.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

I take from the message that the mail is getting out of the building but the Charter sever does not know who we are.  I can send at my account on the Charter WEB site.

I have a suspicion, but you'll have to test to see if it's valid.

I understand that you have several Charter mail accounts, let's call them raydav@c***er.net, rayswife@c***er.net, and rayskid@c***er.net just for the sake of discussion. You have them all set to use the same SMTP server, smtp.charter.net, which authenticates with the user account raydav@c***er.net. My suspicion is that Charter changed their server settings to require the full email address and not just the prefix when authenticating outgoing mail.

If you check the settings for their SMTP server under "Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings," you might find that you've been using the prefix only (raydav), which used to work, and not the full email address (raydav@c***er.net) which they just started requiring. That would cause everyone who tries to authenticate as "raydav" to be blocked. So I would suggest as a first attempt that you enter the full address in your SMTP server settings and see if that works.

A second possibility is that they now want raydav@c***er.net to authenticate as raydav@c***er.net, rayswife@c***er.net to authenticate as rayswife@c***er.net, and rayskid@c***er.net to authenticate as rayskid@c***er.net. In that case, you'd have to set up three separate SMTP servers in SeaMonkey, one for each user. But I rather doubt this because then only the others should be blocked and you should still be able to send.

Sorry for the wordy message. Hope it helps.

Paul B. Gallagher