Ant wrote:
Some ways forward

1. Switch to Linux (I'd expect RAM usage to drop from around 5.9G [with heavy paging] to around 1.9G without paging), JavaScript will be slightly faster, but this won't fix bandwidth. Not sure Win7 is even covered by security policy.

2. Install NoScript classic. This will block a huge amount of ad related JavaScript and prevent a huge number of http connections.

3. Might be worth doing some system profiling, check if the CPU, RAM, Disk I/O and Network bandwidth is really being used by the web browser, or by something else, e.g. use Resource Manager in Win7

Newer Firefox versions (e.g., v73) had no issues though. :/

Ok, that's odd, I know there are moves (in the latest browsers) to disable certain types of invasive behaviour, but I'm not aware of anything that different between FireFox and SeaMonkey right now. Have you confirmed for example that FireFox is using less resources than SeaMonkey when opening the same tabs and visiting the same sites?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)