Hi,

I'm running SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux (since 1995 starting with
Netscape 4, perhaps). I was ready to replace the master password with
an empty one, but it turns out that SeaMonkey does not allow me to set
an empty password.

At the same time, I repeated the steps on a recent installation on
Windows 10, and I had no trouble to set an empty password. The
difference? On Windows 10, the Security Device is named "Software
Security Device", whereas on Linux it is named "Software Security
Device (FIPS)".

Is it just a matter of naming? And, if so, can I rename it?

On the other side, in the Windows 10 installation, with just a simple
saved password, I purposely upgraded to 2.53.1 without emptying the
master password, just to see what errors or malfunctions happened.
And, funnily enough, nothing wrong happened; the saved password was
still there.

I'm ready to just do a profile backup and try the direct upgrade with
a master password set, but in case it fails, I wonder how could I fix it.

TIA

--
Proyecto NAVE (Mozilla es-ES Localization Team)
Mozilla Hispano Community