Ken wrote:

When the attached PDF file is highlighted and right click is done,
one of the options is OPEN.  That used to open another browser tab
for viewing the PDF file with Acrobat or similar program. It is not
viewed in the MAIL portion, but another tab for the browser. Hope
this clarifies the situation.

True, but if the Helper Applications pref is set to "Save," that overrules the "Open" selection and opens a Save File dialog anyway. I discovered that recently with an incoming Excel file, and it turned out I had "Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet" (.xls) set to "Save file" but "Microsoft Excel Worksheet" (.xlsx) set to "Use Microsoft Excel (default)." Updating that pref fixed the behavior.