Frog wrote on 10/05/2020 9:41 AM:
I continue to be unable to open messages on this news group while being able to open my email messages on the same SeaMonkey software (I have addressed this problem in recent exchanges on this user group) .   I am now convinced that this might be a unfixable problem…thus, I am now looking at removing and reinstalling SeaMonkey on my computer to see if that will correct my newsgroup mail problem.  I do have some question I need your help/thoughts/recommendations on before initiating this action.  (((Please remember that I am not very computer technical smart and my questions will reflect my knowledge level - my fear is possibly loosing everything on my computer.))) Here are my questions:

---Will removing my current SeaMonkey software have any effect on my Profile and/or my Accounts?

It shouldn't effect your Profile information, Frog .... but, just in case, better safe than sorry ...

1.   Click 'Edit' the top left of your SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups screen
2. Click 'Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings'. This should display information about your Mail and News Accounts. 3. Select 'Server Settings' on your e-mail account on the left of this new screen. 4. Write down the location mentioned in the 'Local directory:' line of your e-mail account. This is where your e-mails (Inbox, Sent, etc.) are stored. 5. Do steps 3 and 4 for your "Local Folders" account and for each news account you have set up. Also worth while writing down the newsrc file location for each News account as well, if you wish. 6. Completely close down SeaMonkey .... Browser, Mail & Newsgroup Screen, EVERYTHING!!

7. In your Windows 10, start up your Windows File Manager program (Explorer, is it??) and navigate to the location you wrote down in Step 3 above. 8. Copy that folder (and everything in it) to some other location as a backup of your e-mail account. 9. Do the same things (Step 7 and 8, above) for your "Local Folders" account and for each on your News accounts.

So now that you have a basic back-up of your profile .....

---Should I make a backup of my SeaMonkey folders (i.e. Address Book, Inbox, etc.) before taking this action?

See above for most of this .... no copy of the addressbook made as yet!

10. In your Windows File Manager program, do a search for 'Bookmarks' (without the inverted commas) and look for a file called 'Bookmarks' (no extension). Click on each one (newest one first, maybe) until you get a screen that has similar web addresses as you would expect to find in your SeaMonkey Browser screen. 11. In your Windows Explorer, make a copy of your 'Bookmarks' file to a similar location that you copied your Mail and News accounts.

---Will this action have any possible effect on my email messages and/or user group messages?

Not normally, but if you make copies, as I directed above, all is recoverable!

---Will this action possibly fix my problem of not being able to open user group messages in SeaMonkey?

I don't know, Frog, I'm tending towards 'No', but, at the very least, having copies of your e-mail and news accounts, and your Bookmarks can't hurt, can it??

FYI, it has been a long time since my present software was installed and there have been a number of updates since that time.  All updates were allowed to write over my existing software...no start over new has been involved for many years.

I welcome your advice on this subject.

Frog

See how you go, Frog, and report back!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623