WaltS48 wrote:
> On 8/25/20 12:45 PM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> I received the following rather problematic email from Yahoo this
>> morning:
>>
>>> Hey David,
>>>
>>> We love that you love using your Yahoo Mail. And we want to make sure
>>> you always have the best experience. That’s why we’re reaching out
>>> today.
>>>
>>> We’ve noticed that you’re using non-Yahoo applications (such as
>>> third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) that may use a
>>> less secure sign-in method. To protect you and your data, Yahoo will
>>> no longer support the current sign-in functionality in your
>>> application starting on October 20, 2020. This means that you will
>>> need to take one of the steps below to continue using Yahoo Mail
>>> without interruption.
>>>
>>> But don’t worry, you have options. Find an option that works best for
>>> you below:
>>>
>>> Option 1: We recommend that you access your email using our free
>>> Yahoo Mail app for iOS and Android or simply go to mail.yahoo.com to
>>> access Yahoo Mail on the web.
>>>
>>> Option 2: Keep your current, non-Yahoo app, BUT follow a few steps to
>>> get it to sync with our secure sign-in method. The steps vary across
>>> different email applications, but in most cases, you will have to
>>> remove your Yahoo account from the app and then add it back again to
>>> update the sign-in security. Use the links below to follow the
>>> specific steps for your current application:
>>>
>>>      iOS Mail
>>>      Gmail
>>>      Samsung Mail
>>>      Others
>>>

>>> Option 3: You can generate a one-time, unique password that will
>>> allow you to sign in to your account using your non-Yahoo email
>>> application. Once created, this password will continue to allow your
>>> app to securely sync your Yahoo email unless you sign out (or are
>>> signed out) from your app. You can find instructions on how to do
>>> this here.
>>>
>>> If you want more details on these changes, please visit our help
>>> page. If you’ve already taken action, we’d like to think you haven’t
>>> read this far, but if you have . . . we sure appreciate the diligence!
>>>
>>> Thanks for rocking that Yahoo Mail address!
>>>
>>> Yours in your inbox,
>>> The Yahoo Team
>>
>> I followed that others link and found some instructions for Thunderbird
>> that involve deleting my current account and creating a new one.  I have
>> no intention of deleting my current account, I simply want to change my
>> server settings to conform with their new "more secure" requirements.
>>
>> Has anyone else received this notice and made the required changes so
>> that you can tell me how to fix this mess they are insisting on?
>>
>> Dave
>>

> I think Option 3 is the best choice.
>
> I received the same email from AOL, had the account for decades but it
> isn't a heavily used account and I recently added it as an IMAP account
> [...]

My problem with option 3 is the phrase "one-time" and "unless you sign
out" which imply to me the need to go through this rigamarole every time
I need to restart SeaMonkey. That is a non-starter for me when the POP3
constipated email issue sometimes means multiple restarts in a day.  If
all they want to do is generate me a new password once then fine, but
NOT every time I restart SeaMonkey.

Dave