Jim wrote:
I am using version 2.49.4 -- I stopped doing updates, because they seemed to be getting worse.  I see that SM has released version 2.53.4. The instructions warn:  "You MUST absolutely do a full backup of your profile before trying SeaMonkey 2.53.4."

How do I do that?  I want to keep my emails, bookmarks, and passwords intact.

Assuming Windows (any version, even 2000 or XP):

Use the Explorer and enter %APPDATA%\Mozilla into the address bar. Copy the Seamonkey folder to another location, such as your downloads folder. If you need to recover a backup, simply reverse, copying from Downloads back to %APPDATA%\Mozilla .

Done

Because Mozilla data is not intended to be interacted with directly at file level, it's located in a hidden folder, and you won't find the folder by simple browsing unless you set the Explorer to show hidden files and folders. However, the %APPDATA% construct ignores hidden folders.

One aside -- unless you are in the habit of doing full-image backups, it's likely that you're not getting backups of your Seamonkey profile. If your backup tool supports environment variables, you should make sure you include %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey in what is getting backed up. If your backup tool won't let you do that, then I suggest the same procedure as above, where you copy the Seamonkey folder to a location that is normally included in backups.

Smith