OK, it appears the problem is with the QuickFolders add-on. QuickFolders isn't compatible with the new version of Seamonkey. I noticed it was missing after the update, then found that an earlier version of QuickFolders DOES function with the new SeaMonkey - except, it somehow interferes with renaming folders within SeaMonkey mail.
 I disabled that, and found I could then rename my eMail folders...
BUT - I find QuickFolders VERY useful, so unless I find some other problem with the "incompatible" add-on, I will go ahead and use it, and rename mail folders via the PROPERTIES dialog. Saler Paul