One of the things that I've noticed about sites that use Google's CAPTCHA tool is that if I'm working in Seamonkey, sometimes it takes as many as 7 or 8 solved puzzles before I can get past the CAPTCHA, and of course, that's really annoying.

Something that I came across a week or so back is that that handling is unusual for users that use Chrome. And I haven't checked, but it apparently more than a couple is unusual for Firefox users. It seems that the CAPTCHA is more critical of Firefox UA strings that show another browser name, as being more likely evidence of bot activity.

Since I do quite a bit with on-the-fly spoofing of user agents with PrefBar, I've been playing with CAPTCHA handling. Right now, if I see a CAPTCHA, before I start interacting with the picture puzzles, I change my UA from Seamonkey to a UA string for a recent version of Chrome, and I'm finding that I see less CAPTCHA puzzles, two or three at the most, and sometimes, only one. For good measure, I've found the same experience showing a UA string for Opera. I haven't yet checked a stock Firefox string, but I suspect that it will also cause fewer CAPTCHA puzzles than Seamonkey.

Once I get past the CAPTCHA dialog, then I remove spoofing, returning to my normal Seamonkey UA.

Anyway, it's nice to see that there's an apparent way for us Seamonkey users to make the CAPTCHAs less intrusive.

Smith