Jarle,

Hello. I'm more familiar with the windows distribution of Freenet, but I may
be able to help you solve your problem. First of all, it is normal for a
node to not be able to download anything at first. It takes some time for a
node to be integrated into the network. Also, you have to make sure that
your node has a sufficient amount of node references in it's seed file. You
can check this by looking in your seednodes.ref file located in the main
Freenet directory. If you don't understand what you're looking at, and easy
way to count the references your node knows is the count the number of times
the word "signature" comes up. When you first install your node, it most
likely only knows one other node. You must download the "default seeds" as
well as any others you can get your hands on.

After you have a sufficient amount of references (about 30 is good), just
run your node for a while. Keep it on over night. Keep trying it and it
should work eventually.

Okay, now I'll get into the part where your node just doesn't work. This
error that you reported bothers me:

> 30-Jun-02 3:47:03 AM (freenet.node.rt.DataObjectRoutingStore, main): bad
> reference while resolving: 0x0 : d1d585f4b776ecc9667c1701a654ca01bf146134
> freenet.node.BadReferenceException: NodeReference self signature check
> failed.

Truthfully, I'm not sure what it means. But it has something to do with your
node's own nodereference, which is located in the myOwn.ref file in the main
Freenet directory. If you keep getting this kind of error AND your node
doesn't start working after you've tried the above, you may want to consider
DELETING the myOwn.ref file WHILE YOUR NODE IS TURNED OFF. When you restart
your node, this file should be recreated correctly.

Obviously, there is a chance that none of my suggestions will work. It that
case, you may want to consider completely removing your installation and
starting again from scratch. Also, if you want you can send me the following
files so that I can check your configuration and see if it is nominal:

freenet.conf
myOwn.ref
seednodes.ref

Also, you can tell me what the size of the following files are, BUT DON'T
SEND ME THE ACTUAL FILES:

node_16966
store_16966

The numbers will of course vary with what port you are running on.

Feel free to send me any additional snippets of your log file that concern
you.

Good luck, Wesley.