ok, i moved my existing node's folders and decided to try out the new
windows installer to see how its doing, it is having problems finding my
java installtion.  it popped up the "i did not find sun's java runtime"
message, i hit No so that it would search for it, it said
"congratulations! java interpreters have been found.  you may choose
from the list".  i hit ok.  it show's two runtimes:

C:\j2sdk1.4.0\bin\java.exe
C:\j2sdk1.4.0\jre\bin\java.exe

i clicked on the top one, then "update settings" and it pops up the "i
still can't find any java interpretors, did you really install the JRE?
 installation will now stop"

... and it does stop...

this is on windows 2000 with the installer i grabbed from:

http://hawk.freenetproject.org/~oierw/freenet-0.5_pre1_0.0.exe

-Josh