The only problem here is the part about keeping the node running.  Since
I'm not on broadband, it's more courteous not to run absolutely
continuously.
Any time I exit Freenet or need to reboot, I must re-download a copy of
freenet because my copy will not restart once shut down.  Been that way
for months (with therefore many different  builds).  But so
far no one want to take a chance to trying to give me any clues of what to
try doing.  (I suspect it relates to two versions of java on this hardware
but my little knowledge of Java is hardly enough to call that even a good
guess.)  Have you any ideas on that problem.