Well, after watching my node for a while, I can report with some confidence that the latest stable build of freenet is performing much better.  My node has been running almost 24 hours and it's not stuck at 100% cpu constantly, although the general trend is for cpu usage to slowly increase.  I have seen this kind of behaviour in other complex java apps that run for long periods of time, so it may be a jvm issue.  Even better though is the lack of dead connections.  For as long as I can recall, my firewall would report more and more dead connections (connections lasting more than 8 hours with little data sent) the longer the node ran.  restarting my node would clear these connections out.  It's good to see that this bug has been resolved.  I recommend to everyone to update to the latest stable snapshot!  I'm looking forward to further improvments in performance so I can handle more traffic. Kudos to the development team!