On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:34:11AM -0600, John McCain wrote:
> I am a newbie who has just set up a permanent node, and I'm getting
> abysmal results trying to access freesites.  The few attempts that
> succeed take up to an hour to load, and most sites never come back at
> all.  Is this performance normal?  I've heard conflicting reports about
> how to improve performance, from adding every site you've ever seen to
> your seedrefs file to cleaning out your seedrefs file.  What's the deal
> on improving performance?  Is it simply a matter of time?
Partly it is a matter of time. It is also a matter of the TFE problem.
This is (and we are incapable of fixing it because Ian has decreed that
we shall not patch browsers), that when you load TFE, it takes ages,
because it has lots of images, and browsers artificially limit the
number of HTTP connections that they use to a given host (i.e. your
browser). This is NOT a bug in the browser, it works fine for HTTP,
where all requests succeed or fail more or less instantly, and then
transfer data, but it IS a bug in the way we communicate with browsers.

> I expect my IP address to change soon?  What effect will this have on my
> node?  Will I need to blast all the data and do a fresh install, or can
> I move the working node to the new address?
Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you haven't set an IP address
explicitly in the config file, and it will be autodetected.

--
Matthew Toseland
Freenet/Coldstore open source hacker.