Dave Hooper wrote:

To configure your firewall you need to
1.  Let *ALL* outbound traffic from *ALL* local ports pass out through your
firewall onto the internet.  This is because Freenet sets up connections to
external nodes and there's no telling which local port numbers it will be
using at any time.  This is just the same as allowing outbound traffic from
an FTP client
and,
Actually, I do have another question about this: ZoneAlarm can be configured to allow certain programs to access the internet. This seems to work for the most part, but every once in a while (once in 10 or 20?) it blocks an outgoing packet because it can't tell (for some reason) that it came from javaw.exe. ZoneAlarm reports that the program (which it can't tell what it is) must have started before ZoneAlarm was loaded (which isn't true). Again, most of the packets *are* recognized as coming from javaw.exe, so there's no problem for them. Very weird...

To fix this, I've enabled all outgoing packets for all programs in ZoneAlarm (expert rules), but I'm afraid this may not be the best idea from a security point of view.

Have you (or anyone) any experience with this?

-Martin